Brown Chickpeas Curry (Kale Chane – Vegan & Gluten Free)
Brown Chickpeas are the darker and tastier cousins of white chickpeas used commonly in Chana Masala. Popularly known as Kala Chana, they are eaten in myriad forms like sprouts, soaked and boiled for salads, milled to make a healthy gluten free flour. High in protein and low glycemic index (G.I.) makes this perfect for vegans and those wanting to increase their protein intake.
I have always used a pressure cooker for speedy cooking after soaking the chickpeas overnight. The open pan method to make Brown Chickpeas Curry takes a good hour or so, of constant stirring and checking, while pressure cooking cuts that time to half with no babysitting!
- Brown Chickpeas, soaked overnight – 2 cups
- Onions, medium sized, puréed – 2
- Tomato paste – 4 tablespoons
- Ginger Garlic paste – 2 teaspoons
- Green Chillies, minced – 2, lesser as per preference
- Garam Masala – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric – 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Water – 6 cups
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh Coriander leaves, chopped for garnish
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker, add onion purée and sauté till golden.
- Add the cumin and coriander seeds, turmeric and Garam masala and, roast well.
- Mix in the tomato and ginger-garlic paste and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, water and salt, mix well and close the cover and cook for 20 to 30 minutes depending on your cooker. (Mine cooks in 20 minutes)
Sprinkle with coriander leaves after checking if the chickpeas are cooked thoroughly. Cooked brown chickpeas retain their shape but, are easily squished with the back of a spoon.
Enjoy hot with roti or, steamed rice!