On my recent trip to the Indian store, I found a rather generic looking plastic pouch called “Mango off cuts”. Since the pouch was sealed and a thick opaque white, I had no way of seeing the contents. However, curiosity prevailed and I got a packet. On opening it after getting back home I found pre-cut raw mango pieces inside! It was instant mango pickle time of course. The weight listed on the packet was 330 grams, and that’s what I’ve taken in my measurements below.
- Raw Mango Pieces (Fresh or Frozen) – 330 grams
- Turmeric Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Chilli Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Mustard Seeds – 1 + 1 teaspoons
- Fenugreek Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Curry Leaves – 10
- Garlic Cloves, thickly sliced – 6 pieces
- White Vinegar – 5 tablespoons
- Marinate the mango pieces with salt, chilli powder and turmeric for 2 hours.
- Dry roast 1 teaspoon of the mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds in a hot pan and powder finely.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and add the remaining mustard seeds till they pop.
- Tip in the curry leaves and fry till crisp.
- Mix in the freshly ground spice mix and salt.
- Add the marinated mango pieces and garlic slices and coat well in the above mixture.
- Mix the vinegar in and bring the pickle to a boil.
- Take off the heat and cool.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight jar.
The pickle is ready to eat instantly and tastes great with Parathas! Enjoy!