“Aloo Matar” is a North Indian classic vegan, gluten-free, quick and easy recipe perfect for the evenings when I need to make a fast meal. “Aloo” refers to potatoes and “Matar” to fresh green peas (I use the frozen kind). My aunty recently gave me a “pressure pan”, which is a smaller version of my favourite kitchen appliance – the pressure cooker. This dish was ready in half hour including the chopping & dicing of potatoes and onions.
I have used sweet potatoes at times in place of the red potatoes and the family loved it. The recipe is great for customising to individual tastes. I do not peel red potatoes, instead soaking them in warm water and give them a good scrub before rinsing and dicing into cubes.
- Red Potatoes (washed, scrubbed & diced) – 2 cups
- Frozen Green Peas – 3/4 cup
- Brown Onion (medium), minced – 3/4 cup
- Tomato Paste – 2 tablespoons
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 teaspoons
- Green Chillies (minced finely) – 1 to 2 depending on desired heat
- Vegetable Oil – 1 – 2 teaspoons (to coat the pan)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- water – 2 to 3 cups
- Salt – To taste
- Coriander Leaves (fresh or dried) for garnishing, optional but highly recommended for the flavour.
- Coat the bottom of the dried pressure pan with 1 teaspoon of oil.
- Heat the pan and add cumin seeds, turmeric and minced onion. Cook until the raw smell goes away.
- Stir in the ginger garlic paste & tomato paste. Add 1/2 a cup of water to make the gravy.
- Add in the diced potatoes & frozen green peas.
- Mix in the remaining water (I used 2.5 cups water).
- Clip on lid & cook for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Release pressure from the pan and lightly mash some of the potatoes to thicken the gravy.
- Sprinkle with fresh or dried Coriander leaves if Using.
- Serve warm with Roti/ Flatbread or Jeera Rice.