Vegan Caramel Cupcakes
I’ve baked vegan caramel cupcakes to layered birthday cakes with this recipe and have found that it works everytime. My oldest child loves salted caramel as a flavour and requests it very often. These vegan caramel cupcakes rely on coconut sugar, dates and a hint of maple syrup to recreate the deep richness of caramel. These vegan caramel cupcakes are easily made with pantry ingredients
For the CUPCAKES
1 cup Self Raising Flour
3/4 cup Coconut Sugar
1/3 cup Coconut Oil (melted)
1 cup Plant Milk (almond or Soy both work well) + 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
1.5 teaspoons Vanilla Essence
For the CARAMEL FROSTING
15 – 18 large Medjool Dates, pitted
2 tablespoons Maple Syrup or, Date Syrup
4 tablespoons scoopable vegan butter ( I used Naturli at room temperature)
Pink Himalayan Salt flakes, to sprinkle on top (optional)
For the CUPCAKES:
- Preheat oven to 180°C (fan forced) and line a 12 cupcake pan with paper cases. Keep aside.
- In a deep bowl add the plant milk, Apple Cider Vinegar, oil and coconut sugar. Mix until creamy. I used my Kitchen Aid whisk attachment and bowl.
- Slowly fold in the self raising flour and whisk until a smooth batter forms.
- Drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Tap the pan before baking in the oven at 165°C for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Bake until a skewer in the middle comes out clean and cool on the wire rack while making the icing.
My oven tends to run hot, so I end up using a lower temperature to stop the “muffin domes” from forming as I need the cupcakes to have flatter ‘heads’ to lay icing on.
For the CARAMEL Icing:
- Add all ingredients to a blender jar or a food processor jar and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a piping bag to swirl on the icing or use a flat spatula to spread onto the cooled cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with Himalayan Pink Salt before serving.
These delicious cupcakes last well up to 3 days refrigerated in an air tight box, mine did not make it that far!
If you liked this vegan caramel cupcake recipe, please see here for a delicious Hummingbird Cupcake recipe.