Cabbage! As a child with a sensitive sense of smell and picky food habits cabbage used to live on my “No” list! It has taken me a long time to come to terms with the low-in-calories and healthy food factor in cabbages. On the other hand, potatoes were always a favourite vegetable and mixing potatoes with anything made it instantly edible! Voila!!
So here’s a low fat Bubble & Squeak recipe with a tofu cream dressing to welcome Autumn….
For the Patties we need,
- A big head of Cabbage, shred finely
- Potatoes, boiled & mashed – 2
- Zucchini, finely grated – 1 medium
- Olive Oil – 3 Tablespoons
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper powder – 1 to 2 teaspoons as per taste
What to do next,
1. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pan, saute the zucchini & cabbage till soft & dry.
2. Add the mashed potatoes in & season with salt and black pepper. Cool.
4. Pat the cooled mixture into small patties.
5. Heat the remaining oil on a non stick pan & slowly coat the pan. Lay the patties carefully, making sure that they are not touching each other.
6. Flatten with the back of a heavy spatula. Turn & cook on the other side, till golden brown on both sides.
Serve hot plain with a creamy dressing (recipe follows) or, sandwich in a Wholemeal bread roll for a filling meal with some soup.
To make the Creamy Dressing we need,
- Tofutti, cream cheese – 1 pack
- Soy Milk – 8 tablespoons
- English Mustard, hot – 2 teaspoons
Blend to a soft consistency & use as a spread either on the bread roll or, as a dipping sauce for the Bubble & Squeak.