Ahhh… an oxymoron I hear you say. How on earth can an Omelette be vegan?! Well, if you make it with chickpea flour + your choice of favourite veggies + garnishing = Vegan Omlette! Great to eat by itself, or with flatbread or, in a salad. Add in any vegetable as long as they are chopped finely. Mushrooms, cabbage, zucchini also taste good. Garnishing can be coriander leaves or, shallots or, other greens.
- Chickpea / Gram flour – 1 cup
- Onion, chopped finely – 1/2 cup
- Red Bell Pepper, chopped finely – 1/2 cup
- Tomato, chopped finely – 1/2 cup
- Garlic cloves, sliced finely – 4
- Ginger, minced finely – 1 teaspoon
- Green Chillies, finely sliced – 1 to 2
- Turmeric, powder – 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves, minced finely – 5 to 6
- Salt to taste
- Water – 1.5 to 2 cups
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Add all the ingredients into a big mixing bowl and mix well.
- Gradually whisk in the water to make a runny batter. I used a little over 1.5 cups of water. Set aside.
- Get your favourite thick bottomed pan out (I used my trusty cast iron pan) and heat with the oil until well coated.
- Pour about 1/3 cup of batter into the heated pan and spread around.
- Cook on medium heat until golden brown and flip over to lightly cook the other side.
- Repeat steps 4 & 5 until batter finishes.
Tastes excellent hot or cold with some tomato ketchup and your choice of bread. Enjoy!
I would love to know your favourite vegetables and garnishing for omelettes below.