Vegan Chickpea Flour Savoury Pudding (Dhokla)
Dhokla is the western Indian equivalent of eggy frittatas or savoury quiches made with chickpea flour or Besan. One of the biggest advantages of using chickpea flour/ Besan in this recipe is that the Dhokla is vegan and gluten free and is ready in minutes.While the batter steams, the toppings consisting of mustard seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida, sesame seeds, desiccated coconut and chillies (if preferred) can be pan fried.
- Chickpea flour (Besan) – 1 cup
- Water – 3/4 to 1 cup
- Lemonade/ Soda – 1/2 cup
- Ginger & Garlic Paste – 1 teaspoon
- Salt, to taste
- Raw Sugar – 1 tablespoon
- Eno Fruit Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Coconut Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Lemon Juice – 1 tablespoon, optional
- Mix all the ingredients into a smooth batter except for the Eno Fuit Salt.
- Add water in increments of a tablespoon to make a silky, cake like batter.
- Spray a 7″ cake pan with non stick spray and boil water in a large vessel.
- Add the Eno fruit salt and whisk it through the batter and quickly pour into the prepared cake pan.
- Steam for 12 – 15 minutes and, check if cooked by inserting a skewer into the middle to ensure proper cooking.
While the batter steams, heat coconut oil in a flat pan and add any or, all of the preferred toppings above into the oil. I used curry leaves, asafoetida and desiccated coconut as I had these on hand. Pour on top of the steamed cake before cutting into pieces. Sprinkle lemon juice if using.
Enjoy vegan chickpea flour savoury pudding (Dhokla) hot or cold, tastes good either way!
If if you enjoyed this savoury breakfast recipe, please click here for more!