Vegan Pasta Arrabbiata…sort of (Pressure Cooker Recipe)
This quick recipe is adapted to the pressure cooker eliminating the need to cook the pasta and vegetables separately. The recipe is also inspired by my Indian roots and contains turmeric, onions, ginger and garlic in addition tomatoes. Being a vegan recipe, the Parmesan cheese is substituted with Vegan Nutritional Yeast or “Nooch”, as it is popularly known. I prefer my pasta dishes to be slurpy and have added water accordingly.
- Uncooked Pasta (gluten free, if preferred) – 1 cup
- Onion, sliced finely – 1 medium
- Ginger, minced – 2″ piece
- Garlic Cloves, minced – 5 to 6
- Turmeric Root, minced – 1″ piece
- Tomato Paste – 3 tablespoons
- Mixed Vegetables (carrots, corn, peas, bell pepper, cauliflower & broccoli) – 1 cup
- Paprika – 2 teaspoon or more, to taste
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Salt, to taste
- Water – 2 cups
- Mixed Herbs (Basil, Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano & Bay Leaf) – 2 teaspoons
- Flavoured Olive Oil – to splash on top
- Pickled Jalapeños, to eat with (optional)
- Nooch/ Nutritional yeast – 1/2 cup to sprinkle on top
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker pan and sauté the onions until brown.
- Add the ginger, garlic and mixed herbs into the oil and cook till aromatic.
- Mix in the tomato paste and cook the raw smell off.
- Tip in the vegetables and mix well.
- Add the pasta and coat well in the above mixture.
- Season with salt and paprika.
- Add the water in. The water level must be double of the pasta level for a soupy dish if not, the pasta tends to stick.
- Cover the pressure cooker pan and cook on high for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Take off the heat and rest till cool.
Serve with Nooch and flavoured oil sprinkled over the top for a hearty dish!
I would love to know your favourite pasta and veggie combinations in the comments below 😊