My little ones love Waffles and will happily eat great amounts at all times of the days, topped with fruits and maple syrup, or even plain! I got one of those popular electric waffle makers a couple of years ago at the holiday sales. After which we have stopped getting any shop bought waffles in the house. I must admit that I have mostly made wholemeal waffle batter until now, but wanted to use up some leftover flax egg when inspiration struck!
Using Besan (finely ground Gram flour) as a base for gluten-free dishes is quite widespread in Indian cooking. For example, here and here. Besan is a favoured ingredient in many Indian sweets in the form of fudge or, truffle like balls called Laddoos. I buy Besan flour in a coarsely and finely ground form depending on how I plan to use it, as the fine grind is better as a coating and the coarse grind provides more body, such as in this Frittata and Fritter recipe.
These waffles freeze well and can be reheated on a hot pan or, in the Airfryer to crisp up for a quick breakfast or, wholesome afternoon tea. Happy cooking 😊
Vegan Gluten-free & Sugar-free Waffles
Allergy friendly waffles made with Gram flour and flax using a waffle maker.
- 1 cup Gram Flour/ Chickpeas Flour, finely ground
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 cup Stevia, granules
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 4 – 5 tablespoons Warm Water
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Bean Paste
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- Non Stick Spray
Flax Egg Mixture
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 1 tablespoon Flax Meal
Mix the flax egg ingredients well and set aside.
- Whisk the chickpea flour, coconut flour, stevia and baking powder in a large mixing bowl until well mixed.
Combine the coconut milk, vanilla bean paste, oil and flax egg mix together and whisk well.
- Fold in the dry flour mixture gradually, while whisking continuously to prevent any lumps.
- Use spoonfuls of warm water to make a slightly runny batter. (Coconut flour tends to thicken the batter.)
- Heat the waffle maker and spray some non stick spray on the surfaces.
- Ladle a spoonful of mixture on to the waffle maker and spread it all over the waffle maker before closing the lid.
Cook at low heat for 5 – 7 minutes until a deep golden brown.
- The waffles are done when they come off the waffle maker easily and do not stick.